Skip to content

Evalutation of my project.

January 24, 2011

during this project, i have investigated the build up of a character in musical theatre, exploring the movements made to express a character, a brief exploration of costume and an investigation of the makeup used to portray characteristics that are needed to make the character believable. my project deviated away from the inital plan of fashion photography mixed in with musical characters as i found that i was more interested in how the characters were interpreted rather than trying to manipulate them myself. this mean that although i had studied a fashion photographer, the fact that he had used characters in his photography was enought to still create inspiration. my other artist was the costume designer of ‘Cats’ – John Napier. ‘Cats’ has become the main influence of my project as the makeup needed to transform from one being to another is far more complex and detailed than that of on human playing another. i felt  that  this mean i had more to work with and so i studied more about characters that were different to a normal human being.

i started my project looking just at the movements, facial expressions and gestures of people who were interpretting my characters and i did this by creating ‘fact files’ for each character to give a better insight into how they would be feeling. after this i looked at costumes and experimented by scanning material in to try and take my own spin of the suit from ‘Jersey boys’. i felt that costume would take long time to recreate in my own style so i quckly looked more at makeup as i felt i could have my own artistic take on orginial characters that are well known to lovers of musical theatre.

my final pieces:

I then developed this final piece further by manipualting a small photograph and sewing wool into it to give a texture, mixed media effect and to try and create more of a cat feel to the picture. i also scrated into the photograph, enhancing the white areas, such as the whiskers and making them stand out more against the black of the fur.

i decided to chose this as one of my final pieces becuase i felt that it represented my project well and that it shows a lot of skill. i frequently worked with the ‘layer mask’ tool in my project – creating step by steps twice to show how i achieved different things. with this picture, i felt that my skills were shown sucessfully because i was able to use this tool in order to create a rounded face and thus make it appear more ‘human’. although the picture is not central i feel that this adds to the picture because it makes it feel more like a ‘snap’ that would suggest that this is the norm and that things like this are not seen as strange. the plain background allows the face and clothes to stand out as there is nothing to deviate the eye away from the work i have produced and the clothes worn are just simple ordinary clothes that again, make the picture seem more normal and real. i changed the eyes of the cat to very saturated yellow because i felt that this had a link to the logo of ‘cats’ that depicts very yellow eyes. although the cat i used does not bare any resembalence to a character from the musical ‘cats’, it fits in with my theme of using every day things that we find around the house to maniuplate to create characters.

i chose this as my second final piece becuase i felt tht it represented my project in contrast to my first final peice. this was a non digital manipulation because i used facepaint to create the image onto my models face. i then changed it for my final piece by editing it slightly in order to make it more bright and to let it stand out. i chose to change the background to black because the character portrayed is that of macavity and because this was originally a poem by T.S Elliot i had a lot of description to focus on, for example Macavity is ginger and tiger like – which influenced me to put the black stripes onto my models face. macavity is also seen as very evil which is why i have made the facial expression like a ‘snarl’ so that people will feel intimidated by it.

overall i fell that my project has developed very well throughout its various stages, if i could change anything i would say that i would do more digital and non digital manipulations of characters to show the difference between the two.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: